Safety Was Always Job #1
Safety was our first and lasting principle.
We constantly emphasized the safe, informed use of tools and awareness of safe working conditions.
- We provided safety helmets to wear while working—everyone was required wear the helmet provided while working
- When the crew leader called for a break, we stopped work and rested.
- We emphasized that the that tools designed to dig soil & cut wood will cut people, too.
- We reminded crew members that people tend to cluster as they work—so they needed to keep a safe distance between each other.
- The crew leader required everyone to bring a personal first aid kit—the stuff they brought augmented the crew’s first aid supplies.
We Reminded Everyone to Know Yourself and Your Needs!
On each work trip, the crew leader emphasized these principles:
- If you are taking medicines, bring them with you & tell the crew leader.
- If you have any medical condition, such as diabetes, tell the crew leader.
- If your doctor has advised you against doing something—don’t do it.
- You are personally responsible for your personal safety.
- The crew leader is committed to ensure the safety of the group, but you must do your part.
- Too many things can go wrong—and go wrong quickly—to ignore safety.